Total players online: 9

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: OpenEUO vs. EasyUO 1.5
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 pm 
Developer
Developer

I have decided to stop updating EasyUO 1.5 and instead force a switch to OpenEUO.

If you've been following the developments in the OpenEUO forum, you know that a lot of effort has flown into the new project. The problem right now is that OpenEUO gets too little attention because it is in direct competition with its older brother (EUO1.5).

Most people seem satisfied with keeping the status quo if it means zero work for them which basically means I have to provide a finished and polished product and do almost all the work myself.

Although some scripters have started to adopt OpenEUO for their own purposes, there are still too few by far. It seems there needs to be more incentive to adapt and innovate.

So I have decided to provide that incentive through the most direct means possible... which is halting all scripting on EA shards unless the script is written in Lua or runs via the not-yet-finished emulator for old scripts.

I know this is going to create a lot of confusion and chaos and probably leave quite a few people dead in the water. I think this is the price we have to pay for innovation. Kill the old project to make room for the new one and pool our combined efforts into making things better for everyone.

What does this mean for you?

1. If you're a scripter then you'll either have to rewrite your scripts or wait for the emulator to get finished. Best would be if you helped on the emulator project itself, speeding up its completion.

2. If you're a normal user then you'll have to find a working Lua script (one of the very few), wait for the emulator to get completed or learn scripting and write them yourself.

Last edited by Cheffe on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:31 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
Thanks for the update!

It's your call, Cheffe, you never need to justify yourself to us. We appreciate everything!

I asked this before, and now I'd say it's going to be answered by more people: which scripts are desired most? For those of us that have adopted OEUO, what would the masses see written first?

I'd suspect I know the answer, and the reason I ask is to maybe coordinate our scripting efforts. Cheffe's right: instead of 100 people working independantly towards the same goal, we might be able to work together, the way these forums were intended! For those of you already working on the larger more complex (bod, for example) scripts, maybe we can help you speed production!

Do I stand alone or does anyone agree with me?

--Traegon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:38 pm 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
Well I think starting will all the crafting skills would be a good start? After that, weapons training?

I wish UO would have waited one more day, was just about to finish off my cartography(for the 3rd time ughhh) and lockpicking(3rd time). Dang...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:39 pm 
Adept Scripter
Adept Scripter

Groups:
I don't, really.

I've invested too many years in EUO and UO to switch now. I've been following efforts here and via other names on other boards. Those folks who have built some of the most incredible tools have serious reservations about the development path of OEUO. They are much smarter than I, a mere hack, so I have to weigh their words carefully.

I appreciate everything Cheffe has done. I think he has single-handedly kept UO alive for half a decade, despite the 'war on scripters.' I am also appreciative of the fact that he made this announcement before I purchased the booster pack.

Good luck to this community, and those who choose to soldier on with OEUO.

xapj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:22 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
niccawut wrote:
Well I think starting will all the crafting skills would be a good start? After that, weapons training?

I wish UO would have waited one more day, was just about to finish off my cartography(for the 3rd time ughhh) and lockpicking(3rd time). Dang...

The nerve of them.

:wink:

Having trained both of those manually, I sympathize. With T.hunting in the forefront, a quick and dirty cartography training script makes sense. I remember lockpicking being a pain; I did it manually. It seems to me the script would be easy.. but isn't lockpicking's gains dependant on the crafted items you're picking?

As for all the remainder of the skills.. ugh, lol - what order makes sense? I seriously doubt CEO wants to rewrite all his scripts of awesomeness for the crafting skills training (or maybe he already has [-o< )

As for weapons training.. ? Can't one simply get a golem? Can you be more specific?

--Traegon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:38 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
I too am grateful for all you have done Cheffe, but perhaps you would reconsider reinstating EUO till OEUO is complete?

Just a few days ago you posted in this thread:

http://www.easyuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44731

Cheffe on October 10 2010 wrote:
Another month or two likely. You're welcome to give it [OEUO] a try then. Right now it's just not ready for wide-scale adoption.

It just seems a bit odd you would force us all to start working with an incomplete program. Throwing everyone in to the deep-end and telling them to swim, in my opinion, won't net the results you're looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
Cheffe, the only reason I (and I'm sure others) was using EUO1.5 while developing for OEUO was to monitor the vars. Can you offer any ETA to us for the var handling capabilities for the new OEUO GUI?

Thanks!

--Traegon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Definitely Going to have to go with.

Skill Trainers
- Casting
- Crafting
- Combat
- Music
- Misc (Lockpicking, Etc, Etc)

Resource Farmers
- Lumberjack
- Mining
- Leather
- Potion Makers
- Crafting Scripts in General

Complex
- Bod Fillers
- Bod Sorters
- Plant Tenders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. :)
ernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:48 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Im sad i cant write scripts, i've tried but with no success. I am a plumber for gods sake. Cheffe please reconsider your decision. But i do thank you for the many years that you have been doing this. If i cant script, i cant play uo :[ This could be a very sad day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:09 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
Can we maybe get an update on EUO with the idea that the next EA patch wont be supported? That way we can continue with our scripts but still work towards finishing OEUO knowing that if its not finished theres nothing else.

Thats pretty good motivation I'd think plus people won't be left hanging for 2 months until then.

As things are now, you risk people losing interest all together since the only people who will have a reason to come here now will be those capable of working on the program.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:20 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
I don't really see the point in wasting so much time on an emulator when whoever is writing it could instead turn their attention to OEUO and help make it awesome with great features previously mentioned such as var list, syntax highlighting etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am not really thrilled about having to rewrite years of scripts! I just think that if you really want to create motivation for a more active user base, wasting community resources on an emulator at this point is a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:31 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
How much cash would it take to get it EasyUO updated?

3 months ago we returned to UO after a 5 year vacation and one of the things we were really excited to see was the fact that easyuo was still here.

After reviewing the EasyUO site we knew it was only a matter of time for Open to be fully implemented. (Sixth sense sorta thing) Anyhow after talking it over with my wife we decided to send ya some PPal funds in hopes to encourage you to keep Easy going every time there was a patch. Not to long ago you did patch and we did send you a PPal donation for updating EasyUO.

Please patch EasyUO again and we will send you another PPal donation of 100 bucks :) Consider 10 days of taco bell meals as a token of our appreciation!

BTW -
I have been looking into Open and we attempted to write some code but it was short lived. Something about finditem, eventmacro, eventpathfind, gosub and goto fells so natural. I couldn't even write a basic looter or IDOC utility... ouch

After this month I personally will have the time to learn Open/Lua.

Again, please consider patching EasyUO on behalf of the $100 PPal donation AND for those of us that are slow moving community members whom have been with you for a huge portion of our lives.

Thanks~
oldschool aka luketown aka esantcho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 am 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Groups:
EasyUO is quit simple language. I think convert Euo to Lua is not so difficult except dealing string.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:10 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
I thought there was going to be a fully working emulator before the mandatory switch? What happened to that plan??

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next