Total players online: 4

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:25 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
Lord Solor wrote:
Traegon has dragged me kicking and screaming into using the new OpenEUO for the last few months.

Indeed, and now thou art grateful.

--Traegon

PS: I am prepared to be ganked at your earliest opportunity. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:31 pm 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
I think Top Two put my thoughts better than I could. I have a wife and kids and have to budget my time. Even with a kick in the pants I just can't drop everything and code.

Buck
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:42 pm 
This program has been great for years. It has continuously improved and I look forward to the next version. I personally can't script and have no interest in it. Chef stated his audience is programmers. This is his baby so lets all enjoy his updates be happy with the fun ride EasyUO has been. I am sure OpenEUO will be just as good.

If there is anything I can do to contribute as a non-programmer let me know.

Thanks for all your time Cheffe!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:44 pm 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
euo718 wrote:
Quote:
Why is everyone acting as if the world is about to end? If you don't like it then go away and come back in a month and the diligent people on this board will have put it all together for you as they have done in the past. I'm just unwilling to trod on all by myself. So yeah, my decision may cost you a month without EUO. If we're fast it may be ready in two weeks, too. So why all the opposition? We all know what's required. We'll get there.

Hmm this is completely the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish with this little power play of yours. In the end, you're just trying to punish people who are not helping with OEUO because you feel betrayed. OEUO will be finished regardless of whether you update EUO or not. I'm not acting like the world is going to end because EUO is not my world. Just a little program I enjoyed using and had some fun with that I can no longer use because the developer is angry. :x

You obnoxious little heathen, you contribute nothing to this game, the community in general, and EUO specifically and have the audacity to sit here and try and pick apart the guys post who made your meaningless playtime more worthwhile.

You people lose what? The ability to tend to your plants for a week? The ability to train cartography for a week? Collect BODs? Farm gold/items ? Stoppppppp complaining, and help the guy out who's made everything possible.

Clearly, as he stated OEUO, a more functional, more robust option to EUO 1.5 was not going to get the attention it needed if he didn't force the leechers to adapt. And that's not to say everyone who can't script is leeching, not in the least. But there is a certain mindset amongst THE OFFENDED that Cheffe has wronged you by trying to push you up the evolutionary tree.

Be patient, and listen to what the guy says : Doing EUO is alot of work, he could use some help in making OEUO the fantastic program it can be. If you have the time and ability to contribute, please do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:45 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
all I can say is wow. I wish I had know about this decision

A) before I upgraded 3 accounts to high seas!
B) before 2 accounts ran out today and I resubscribed!
C) before I had reactivated a 4th account and not had the chance to train anything up on any character lol.

This decision will no doubt cause thousands to turn away from UO. Why?

Because none of the old scriptwriters are even around any more, and their scripts have been kept together with vinegar and brown paper for years now.

Those who DO know how to write scripts will no doubt keep those scripts to themselves for personal gain, at least for a few months until they are ahead of the game, and by that time most people, with little time on their hands to farm stuff like ore etc... will have quit UO.

I see the reasoning behind the decision, but all I see is UO failing now. Not wishing to be cynical.

The only thing I have to be thankful of was that this time for some reason I only paid for 1 months game time instead of my normal 3. , at least I saved £40 in that respect before I cancel my accounts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:48 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

gtfonub, i'm working on casting skill trainers right now. Why don't you go take a look at them and start training up some characters while you wait for me to bring you a sandwich(Lumberjacker) in a very nice hammock(Miner).

Actually I probably won't be rewriting either of those! What a headache, but I'll make other useful things!

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:54 pm 
This user has been...

Groups:
Quote:
you obnoxious little heathen, you contribute nothing to this game, the community in general, and EUO specifically and have the audacity to sit here and try and pick apart the guys post who made your meaningless playtime more worthwhile.

Not sure how "this game" or the "community in general" has anything to do with EUO, but ok. I played UO long before I knew about EUO, and I can play without it. Not saying I would rather play without it, but it's not that big of a deal. The only reason I felt the need to post is not because I have to have EUO asap, but because of how Cheffe blames everyone else for the slow progression of his own project. Everyone says it's HIS, so why doesn't HE take responsibility for it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
Also, gtfonub, UO isn't hemoraging the subscription #'s I think you believe it is. It actually has been a very good last two years in comparison to earlier times. We have our Dev team to thank for that, these guys actually do right for the game.

Thousands can wait a week or two for OEUO to get some solid attention and continue on their marry way scripting and such :)

The trainers will be done, everything needed will be done. Just be constructive in asking for what you need and there are some great minds around here that will knock it out.

Be happy people, EasyUO just got moved into the 21st century and with it is dragging your 20th century asses along :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:04 pm 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
euo718 wrote:
Quote:
you obnoxious little heathen, you contribute nothing to this game, the community in general, and EUO specifically and have the audacity to sit here and try and pick apart the guys post who made your meaningless playtime more worthwhile.

Not sure how "this game" or the "community in general" has anything to do with EUO, but ok. I played UO long before I knew about EUO, and I can play without it. Not saying I would rather play without it, but it's not that big of a deal. The only reason I felt the need to post is not because I have to have EUO asap, but because of how Cheffe blames everyone else for the slow progression of his own project. Everyone says it's HIS, so why doesn't HE take responsibility for it?

I don't know how logic deduction is done inside of your head... but at sea level, with proper nutrition it should go something like this :

Cheffe build EUO
Cheffe maintain EUO
Cheffe + great friends (script0rz) make EUO staple in UO players life
Cheffe maintain EUO
Cheffe maintain EUO
Cheffe maintain EUO
Cheffe build more open platform for EUO to go to LVL2 !
Cheffe maintain EUO
Cheffe maintain EUO
Cheffe get's tired of this cycle and forces you to evolve.

Cheffe has done (the bulk) of everything for this COMMUNITY PROJECT. These are facts. It's not an opinion, which 'blaming' someone would be. It's just simple, historical fact.

Alas, enjoy the ride while the program you do nothing for is made better. And go on your way, doing nothing, and making posts when you feel the need for your omnipotent logic to see the light of day!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:07 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
gtfonub wrote:
Those who DO know how to write scripts will no doubt keep those scripts to themselves for personal gain, at least for a few months until they are ahead of the game

I understand the frustration you feel from the rest of the post, but that comment above.. seems like you're asking those of us that've spent hours and hours learning the ins and outs to freely divulge that information without so much as a please or thank you. Now, granted, you'll see that many of us WILL start freely publishing scripts, but have a little respect: I think if we did exactly what I just quoted you to say above that perhaps we've earned the right to do so? Cheffe's been saying since April that EUO is phasing out.. we've been preparing for it.

My suggestion to the people that rely on EUO for ingame/IRL financial gain: put out a post of what you need, and if someone "wants the job", maybe they'll PM you.

In the mean time, just play the game! Have fun! Four accounts and all you do is script? Surely not?

--Traegon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Guess it's time to update my BOD filler!

|freeshard magery|s7EquipReplace|||Apache!
|accessability suite: uo chat from your iphone.|s7BoSThis|||php.net

Has one of my scripts ever saved you some time?
Send me a Paypal Donation!

ImageImage

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:48 pm 
This user has been...

Groups:
Quote:
Alas, enjoy the ride while the program you do nothing for is made better. And go on your way, doing nothing, and making posts when you feel the need for your omnipotent logic to see the light of day!

Interesting...I download free software all the time and "do nothing for it". I don't see why EUO should be any different.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:54 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Oh dont get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if OEUO works! And if it works within a few weeks I would be amazed as well. I guess I am very old and long in the tooth and its made me very pessimistic and cynical. I found EUO in Mar 2010 after returning from 7 years of no UO, and was gobsmacked at how brilliant it was. Every time I thought 'Oh god I dont know if I can be bothered doing this task, I checked on here only to find someone has not only made a script for it, those scripts do so much more that I had even thought of.

Personally I would never use any scripts for real life gain (does UO gold even sell for very much?) I barely make enough from 3 accounts to equip my chars with half decent gear.

I guess I am only disgruntled because I make my gold from the simple art of fishing :D and with the new patch out, and I upgraded to 3 high seas, for my 3 GM fishermen only to find when I tried to start the serpent hunter , computer says no!

I am an intelligent guy (parp <-- trumpet blowing), I dont know a great deal about scripting, but I do know that anything I set my mind on learning I can. But its rather like the aforementioned tasks I talked about hehe.

If someone here can say that if I took 5 hours out I could learn to make a fishing script... I will. However if they say it will take me 2 weeks, then its good night vienna, and probably the catalyst that will make me turn to building a website from the bottom up in preparation for SWTOR.

In which case, find the IDOC house which has vendors selling alot of fishing stuff on it in Malas, europa, and when it decays, make sure you grab the baskets near the entrance, as thats where the gold checks and pof and pearls are stored. Least I can offer in return for the months of happiness EOU gave me. Without EUO I would have only returned to UO for a month or 2 tops. With EUO, it was making me work towards reactivating probably all 7 of my accounts from when I used to amass ranger armor back in 2000 hehe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:25 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Traegon wrote:
In the mean time, just play the game! Have fun! Four accounts and all you do is script? Surely not?

And no, I dont just script :) haha that would be nearly as bad as playing farmville on facebook.

I will always Play, one of my two main accounts, while scripting the others - either a tamer on one, or a legendary Imbuer/blacksmith/tailor on the other, whom I use to help others out for free - so much more pleasurable than the gain of gold is the gain of peoples trust, respect and admiration for something given freely, even when giving to players who clearly have 1000 times the rare possessions I possess.

This, I know, must be the same sort of respect you scripters receive as thanks from the community for wonderful scripts you write. I too have written such grateful posts after having used some of those amazing scripts.

And while I play one of the main accounts I will watch my other accounts on Satellite monitors around my main screen (my computer is pretty powerful lol, I have my main screen and 2 monitors just running from one graphics card, and it runs 4 accounts at once smoothly. However, when that ore, leather, gems and magical residue run out, and I cant make those people those things for free, or sell those mibs and pearls to pay for my gear, then the game will cease to give me enjoyment I crave, and it will be time move on again. Not in protest to anything that has been said or done on here, but, like those chillean miners, I have done my time, paid my dues, the grind and struggle in the past has been long and hard, and I, like they, will probably not want to return to those dark days again (melodramatic indeed!).

And before anyone dares to say I could not possibly compare myself to those miners, I have spent 21 years in the navy, 10 years beneath the sea in submarines, in a places more restricted and claustrophobic and for longer periods :) - so yes it was probably hard for their families, but I bet they couldn't have stayed down there for 6 to 8 months without seeing their families. Thats what I at least can say :)

So on retrospect perhaps thousands of people using EUO are not in the same boat as I, and do not feel the same way about such an old nostalgic, but time consuming game. And hopefully the community can survive this, and therefore the game.

And also therefore, perhaps this is the best time to have stopped EOU : as people will be distracted by the new content, not wishing to cancel immediately due to lack of scripts due to having just forked out hard earned cash. I alas am in a position where money isn't an issue, only grindage - I hate grind.

(meanders and signs off for the night hehe)

Last edited by gtfonub on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:27 pm 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

Groups:
Be neat if would could see the economic effects this will (temporarily) have on different servers namely EA servers...

OEUO will get more attention now.

[ur=]http://www.lexiashard.com]Lexiashard.com[/url]
See this thread for lock picking at my rune library

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next