Total players online: 11

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:33 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Ok, so I have been both a long time UO player and a long time EUO user and scripter. No none of my scripts are posted because 99% of them are so simple that they really weren't for posting. (Yes my account is new as I have come and gone.) Cheffe I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but I will say this, I appreciate your hard work, and I think every single person who posted here does as well, especially those who viciously attack you because they have a strong emotional attachment to what you have created. The bottom line is that EUO has enhanced alot of people's gaming experience.

The problem I see with this, and maybe you don't care, is that UO is an ever shrinking community, and even smaller is the EUO community. Smaller then that is the scripting community and finally down to those who actually have the know how to help with OpenEUO. I know you say there will be a finished product, but what I think many of us fear is the fact that the community is now so small that this bump in the road will be the final stake. Sure you may get a viable and working product with OpenEUO, but then who is going to be here to support that? At what point will you stop updating it? And also, for the many who use it and contribute in other ways instead of scripting (monetary support, feedback, ideas) it feels like the death of something great. But beyond that, the biggest elephant in the room is what happens when it is done? Those guys like Roadkill and Guadah and Scriptfellow and them, they have been gone for years. And even some that are still around, to include the great scripter CEO and MWminer, are they going to want to put in the time and effort to create new masterpieces? Maybe they will, but the uncertainty of the community has raised the volume level.

I may not be a programmer, nor am I a master scripter, but I always felt a part of the community, if for nothing else of giving CEO another all 10 rating and a fantastic job on another great script, but that feels like it is slipping away. Yes, the scripts are great, but if you look even the fantastic and famous EUO is only averaging 1 to 2 scripts a month. That is a lot of history lost. And yes, I understand there is an emulator on it's way, but you have to realize that not providing a stop gap solution raises the anxiety level of everyone. Most people don't know you any more then a developer of a fantastic product and that means even though you have done a lot of work, the skepticism is high on whether there will be a completed product. Today is a different age in UO and EUO then it was in 2003 and 2004 when a good portion of these scripts were written. Remember, EUO is nothing without all of the fantastic scripts that were written by so many in the community.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck with OpenEUO I have began the learning curve myself on learning the .lua stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:11 pm 
Developer
Developer

I understand your worries.

What should I do then? I don't have the means to continue this at the rate I've been going. If I just stop everything two years will be lost. I'm not sure I can live with that and not feel deep resentment towards this whole project that I've supported for ten years.

We all have high stakes here.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
I actually don't want you to stop moving forward... there is some real exciting stuff coming.

I think the hole in the road is that everyone heard you say that you would not phase out 1.5 until the converter worked and then blam it happened.

so, that was opperating from two extremes...

1) Before shut down: folks were moving too slowly and not being supportive enough because thye new they were good for as long as it takes you to get the converter.

2) now... a surprise shut down and folks struggling.

Something in the middle would of been able to motivate more folks to join in while allowing general game play for everyone.

Ex) As of November 10th or the next patch thereafter, easy uo 1.5 will be shut down. hense, you have to step up if you want a product to transition to. This is not a soft date that I will waver on, it is the transition date so lets get it done.

That would of been welcomed... still receiving some anxiety from the community but lighting a fire under some butts.

Just a thought. I understand why you did it the way you did out of frustration but you also may of got results with the above choice. The hatful comments are from withdrawl and emotion.

Last edited by R2C2 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:36 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
I know that you want to focus all your attention on OpenEUO and you want all the programmers working on it too.

Could you release the source code of EasyUO. That way you can focus on it and anyone who wants to spend the time fixing EUO they can. Make it a rule that if they update it then they are not allowed to post a copy of it.

It's just a option that you can consider.

Chrisk1152

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:44 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Again these are just my thoughts but here is what I think you should do.

I noticed by your post that you are 31 years old. EUO was written around 10 years ago. From 21 to 31 is a huge life change. I think I read that you no longer participate in the UO community, so I suspect that EUO and OpenEUO has become somewhat of a job for you. Thats not fun for anyone, especially yourself.

1st turn EUO over to someone else. Let them update it, be responsible for it. I know you have stated in the past that CEO has updated it, so it is possible to do, you will just have to find the right person, that way, you continue the community but also you don't have the worries every time it breaks. Now, I know this may in your mind feel like it is defeating the purpose, but hear me out, by discontinuing the old product you have put immense pressure on yourself and others who are helping to "roll something out". Many times this leads to disaster and burnout, but by allowing someone else to continue on with the "status quo" it relieves some of the pressure.

2nd make all new scripts that are posted ONLY be in OpenEUO. This forces the scripting community to begin learning the new product and it also moves forward that product. Not only that, but I imagine there is some pretty smart folks out there who can showcase alot of the new tools it is offering. Once folks start seeing what it can do they will buy into it much more.

3rd make it a priority to finish the emulator. This moves the entire community off of EUO and on to the new product. More excitement ensues.

4th Post on such and such a day all of the old scripts will be "archived" and only available on request, and make room for the new stuff. Like many have posted here, the ease of use is what has drawn many towards the EUO community and EUO itself. By slowly weaning folks off the old and on to the new it allows a smooth transition.

I can tell you one thing that I fear more and more from reading your posts. I fear that you are reaching the end of your rope. I understand you have put in alot of work on the new product and want to see some results. Without participation the results will be slow and not very satisfying, but I think that maybe you should step back a little. Relax and allow things to happen. From the years I have been here, I could ascertain that EasyUO was written by someone who loved UO and loved playing, but wanted an enhanced gaming experience. You accomplished that, but maybe you need to step back and ask, do you want to make a better experience or do you just want to finish the danged thing so you can move on? If it is the latter you should definitely step back and let others do more.

One last thing I want to add. I fully understand your frustration that you feel by putting in alot of effort into something you feel that is for a community and get very little feedback. Unfortunately most folks are selfish in the manner that they want what they want and they want it now. But understand one thing, even those who are angry now, are only angry because of how much they appreciate all your work and effort and are very afraid that it is all lost, and the only way they know how to express it is through anger.

And again, maybe you have tried all the above and have not achieved the results you were hoping for.

Edited for grammar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
I agree with a lot of posters here. I believe OEUO will be a great product. I have zero scripting knowledge, and I am happy to consider myself one of the leechers everyone has so nicely called us. I work very hard at my real job, and I come home from work in hopes of playing a game. I use the scripts to help me tackle the mondane clicking UO is.

Now, If I want to enjoy this part of the game again, I have to devote my spare time (Which I want to play) to learning a new code and learning how to script. Something I have absolutely no desire to do.

I politely asked for a script to be made for me in the new request section, and I was laughed at by your legendary scripters. This is exactly what we are all afraid of. Without a working emulator to convert our beloved scripts, there is no way us average joe's will ever be able to compete.

I am all for moving forward and using a better product. I was around when you changed to EUO1.5 and the backlash then was huge. But people found it eventually worked out. The difference between then and now, is you had a working copy and the scripts worked or were easily converted. This situation is completely different.

I think if it is too much for you to update easyuo, perhaps pass the reigns on to someone else to update it so you will be able to devote your time to the new project.

With the recent release of the new expansion, this couldn't be worse timing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
So I'm guessing something like 5000-10000 people must be using EUO and like it, and what did he say 11 people use RunUO or downloaded it ( and one was me and I can't figure it out. ). New Coke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:32 pm 
Developer
Developer

I have made up my mind. You value stability, I value progress. I have heard your opinion and understand your concerns. I am not willing to sacrifice two years of my work so you can have a good life. At this point it's either going to be me or you.

Keep in mind what it's all about: You don't want to be inconvenienced for a few weeks. If you think you should quit UO because of that then maybe you should.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7