Total players online: 12

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:14 pm 
Developer
Developer

Thanks for the many replies. I've read them all and I agree that there are many aspects to this that my post didn't reflect on. It's good that you posted your views and filled in the gaps.

How to progress from here? I suggest if you have never spent any time on OpenEUO then you should at least download it, look at it and say what you think. If you're a scripter, start with the OpenEUO manual that is stickied in the OpenEUO forum.

I've seen contributors are already trying to put together a collection of useful snippets. Lua is very adaptable. You can change just about anything in it or add your own stuff. Don't like OpenEUO's complicated version of FindItem? Simply use one of the available solutions (e.g. FluentUO) or write your own and keep reusing that. Once it becomes clear what people use the most we can add that to OpenEUO permanently and forget all about the built-in low-level stuff. Right now, the easiest way to include another file is the dofile() function.

Although these last few days have been quite taxing for me also, I'm still scurrying around, trying to take in what users say and write new code at the same time. It's hard to say what you should do or can do to help. I think the best is simply to use what's there and try to fill in what's not there or ask others for help. That way things will get done.

If it turns out OpenEUO is inadequate in some way or another I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to make it more useful for people, even if that means I have to rip it apart and put it together differently. But for that I need input and people who care and maybe also add their own stuff.

For now, I will review the old EUO 1.5 and see if there is a way to integrate Lua into it, of course without changing any aspect of its current functionality or breaking anything. Maybe I could also fix some old problems. OpenEUO still needs some tinkering but it really works fine for the most part I think.

Whatever changes will happen in the next month, you can bet the following will remain an integral part:

- Lua
- the new uo.dll and its commands (e.g. UO.ScanItems etc)
- user libraries (written in Lua) that make uo.dll easier to use.

I'm not sure about the new menu stuff so you should probably leave that away for now. Whatever misgivings some of you may have about OpenEUO, we'll try to fix it. Look into the above things and your time won't be wasted.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The sergeant told me just the secont time to shut down the laptop and go to the bunks...
Ahwell...

I am surprised and happy with the plans you have for both EUOx and OEUO.
Now with the last year of my school started, i will see if i can spend a little time with OEUO.

Ich steh hinter dir, Cheffe. Was auch kommen mag!
So habe ich es in deinem grossen Thread gesagt und dabei bleibe ich.
Du hast mein Wort als Berner und Landesgenosse.

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)
Quote "dreyfus": #true is always #true

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:00 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Thanks Cheffe. As for input, I think I represent the average user, and the hardest things so far for me is how strict the language is for syntax. I've written some fairly complicated scripts in EUO, and I've written a couple snips in OEUO and a small script or two, but it's so hard to get all the syntax correct... I'm sure that's everyone's problem at the moment tho. :) It's a ton of fun learning even tho it's a bit hard. Everyone that is scared to switch, you really should play around with OEUO a bit before getting upset. The feature set is VERY nice. You can already do more with it than EUO1.5... and the speed... heh THE SPEED.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:53 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Groups:
I have been reading so much the last 2 days about LUA. I feel like im in school again lol. I do see alot of potential in the language..but its gonna be forever before i can write anything valid. Heh im still tryin to work out a standard structure ! Anyway! Ill catch on eventually :)

Also I just wanted to say thanks to all the admins and everyone whos taking time to work on this project.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:30 am 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Groups:
Thanks a ton man for updating again. I would love to help with the new one but I'm so bad at programming. Got a D in college lol MY ONLY ONE too! Script writing is so cool too but when it comes to programming I'm a slug.

Wish you the best in all your future plans and thanks a ton for keeping EUO going this long. Hopefully Open will get going soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:38 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
My wife and I can't thank you enough! She is happy to see me not stressing out and also I'm back to going to bed the same time as her.

My personal short comings with Lua is trying to work with out subs.. and how do you loop. Like how do you look for steal-able item with out subs/return looping or do you use repeat... I don't know.. I'm so lost. I will post my questions in the forum.

Thank you and may blessings rain down on you!
oldschool

villiken
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:33 pm 
I support your efforts.

I havent programmed in years.

Even with that I would never complain about the issue.

I am very appreciative of the efforts of you and the scripters for making

my uo playing experience a pleasure.

I will be making an attempt to learn Lua.

Many of us do care and appreciate your efforts.

Villiken,

sirea
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:06 pm 
here is an old user from the start (leecher back then) with a new account coming back to uo from 3-4 yr break. things have changed & so have the users here. back in the day it was sooo friendly & the help was there, the noobs were not.
its very sad to see after trolling through all the posts, oh well :cry:
i would just like to say thank you for the client u gave us to work with. i will support u & everyone else who is backing the new open, u have done a great job & right by us for yrs, hopefully with open, u will be here for yrs to come (atleast around the boards). i will try to learn this LUA stuff & by reading some of the tutorial, it may be very very easy. The help from the community is always there, a thankyou to the numerous scripters (pro) who give advice & answer our stupid questions. in closing id just like to say the last few yrs of uo be4 i quit were the best yrs, simply because i found out i could edit & sometimes successfully create simple scripts to do (simple) things >< it was much fun & very rewarding. so i say - BRING ON OPEN EASYUO! 100% right behind u man!
cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:57 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Groups:
Cheffe,
I appreciate your efforts, I mean Dude you made our lives awesome. You might call me a leech, I haven't programmed since basic & fortran were super languages, and even then I was just a hack (hell I used punch cards on my old Dec 10 in school). But what you did was incredible. And while I adjusted some parameters with Easy, I never took the leap.

I have got my hands full with a divorce and keeping my job right now, but I'll see what Open entails. And just an fyi, anyone who upgrades to High Seas will be blocked from Alexandria if you use Razor. I have tried every which way around it, and other than rewriting the UO directory with an older patch, they have squirrled it. I'm a chemist not a programmer, but I don't want to let this sweet dream die, and I can be reprogrammed *grin*. I'm faced now with leaving EA altogether or only hitting Lexia on my un-patched work laptop.

So onward and upward, and sorry for the inattention. You created a masterpiece and its time for faithful users to step up to the plate (Gods help us all).

Murf

femalewolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm 
Cheffe I would like to thank you for the 7 years I have used your work. I am not a programmer and dont know alot about it. This is why I appreciate what you have done with easy uo. You have evened the playing field for people like me and made it so that I have the same advantages as someone who can program. All can access it and it made it a fairly even playng field for all of us who enjoy the game but do not enjoy the repetive aspect of some of the more mundane things (like lumberjacking). I will learn the programs (eventually with alot of patience for my questions). I enjoy the easyuo community and look forward to being a bigger part of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:48 am 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
TY SO MUCH CHEFFE, im the guy that doesnt know how to script but is putting the effort into it. Remember im just a plumber :P The new Easyuo sounds cool, i learned how to use 1.5. Im sure i can handle the new on"crosses fingers" Once again thx Cheffe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:44 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Orngrimm wrote:
Du hast mein Wort als Berner und Landesgenosse.
Wohnen Sie beide echt in der Schweiz? Das hab ich irgendwie nicht geahnt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Jepp.
Wo genau in der betroffenen Stadt cheffe wohnt weiss ich zwar nicht, aber seine IP löst sich in eine Schweizer Stadt CH auf.
Seine Flagge im Profil stimmt. Meine auch.

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)
Quote "dreyfus": #true is always #true

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:20 am 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Nicht das ich seinen Kopf vergroessern will, aber ich dachte immer dass Cheffes Englisch einfach ZU gut war, und dass er bestimmt Muttersprachler war... Gut das irgendjemand das Internet-Stalking gemacht hat, hoffentlich kommt von Mythic keine Drone-Angriff auf ihn! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 am 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Uebrigens, stimmt meine Flagge gar nicht, lol.