Total players online: 6

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: EasyUO End Of Life
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:54 pm 
Developer
Developer

Hey, I'm sorry for ruining everyone's weekend but...

Lately, I've been feeling that EasyUO is holding me back, from other interesting projects and in life in general. So, after 15 years of continued support, I'm seriously thinking about giving up on EasyUO altogether.

I've already considered other options, e.g. of making an "EasyUO Pro" with advanced features and faster updates that would bring in some cash and maybe allow me to continue supporting it or at least provide some justification. The problem is the large initial amount of work required for setting everything up and, more importantly, open questions about the legal status of such an undertaking.

The forums have also become particularly slow lately, with mostly boilerplate posts right after a patch asking for an ETA, making it feel like an unpaid support job.

I know a few other UO tools have also disappeared, been replaced, then disappeared again, so this might seem like quite a blow to the remaining UO community...? I don't know. I guess it depends on what happens now.

I don't really need to leave right away. But once I'm gone, say within half a year, there won't be any more updates or any other kind of help on my part. I'd love to hear some comments and ideas of how EasyUO or some new follow-up project could be continued.

Best wishes,
Cheffe

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
 Post subject: Re: EasyUO End Of Life
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:52 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Whatever you do, good luck, and thanks. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:24 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Well, custom IDE's and enhanced scripts can already be developed by us, but they still rely on the fact, that the dll gets updated for each client. I don't blame you for having these thoughts, It has been quite a long journey already and lets face the facts, UO is not like it used to be, it's not that popular anymore. I have full time programming job and from time to time I find it hard to get on coding my own stuff, I just tend to play or relief stress some other way. But, as I said, we could do stuff with the dll, but in the end, it still needs those updates every now and then. Have you considered to pass on the source? I know how you feel about that and obviously its a decision only you can make.
If I have understood right, CEO can do the client update stuff also?

Whatever is your decicion, its the right one. Without a doubt, EUO has affected me and my coding career really hard ( in a positive way ), and I appreciate everything you have done so far. Listen to your heart on this and just go with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:48 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Scripty wrote:
Whatever you do, good luck, and thanks. ;)

+1 !!!

EasyUO has given me a great deal over the years and I love this community... dwindling as it is.

It was my second foray into programming. (I started with UO Auto Pilot which was vastly inferior to EUO) It taught me a great deal as I learned to code that I took with me which allowed me to automate a lot of work through VBA programming for Excel (and to a lesser extent other MS Office products).

I understand your current feelings and though you do not need it, I support your decision 100%.

Thank you all you've given us over the years.

Peace

(Broadsword should be quaking in their boots at this announcement... how many will stop playing OSI without EUO??? Count me among them)

“Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?”
I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Last edited by CyberPope on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:21 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

I'm one of those legions of players that would have moved on LONG ago from UO if it wasn't for this tool that you have provided for us all these years. I'm certainly sad to see this announcement just from a selfish aspect and the massive amount of time I've spent crafting all kinds of interesting automation wackyness. But in the end, it's hard to devote time to something that you may not feel much appreciation for. From my core, I give mad appreciation to you and your efforts in keeping this tool alive and me playing this silly game for all these years. I would have been one of those many people that would have contributed to your efforts if you allowed for such a thing. Without that, I've just contributed several times to Lexia and have also an ongoing monthly subscription. In any event, good luck and thanks for all the fish! (Literally lots of fish too! Have you tried my fishing script? It *was* awesome!) :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:24 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
Wow, this is hard to swallow. But like every in life some think have to end. Not sure I like the sound of that but that was quite a ride. For sure that have make the game 150% time better and kept me going for 18 years. Have made many friend and learn many thing. Good luck in your new project and hope you find some reliable to pass the torch. This was your baby and you sure did an awesome job at making a grow. I'm sure it hard for you to let it go but please think about someone that can take your relieve. Once again thx for all the years of joy you have provide us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:13 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Groups:
Please for the love of god dont get rid of Easyuo....

Thank you for all your support but please keep it updated I'd be more then happy to pay a subscription for your time to keep up with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:19 am 
Developer
Developer

Thanks for your kind words. I guess I'd better release the source before people start putting on hoods and pulling out torches. It's weird, leaving a project... not exactly what I expected. It took like 17 hours for the first reply! People really do seem to be either away or too shell shocked.

So thanks everyone... and without further ado: http://www.easyuo.com/cheffe/EasyUO_Source.zip (full source)

May it bring you luck, though I hope everyone realizes what a two-edged sword that is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:53 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
Cheffe wrote:
Thanks for your kind words. I guess I'd better release the source before people start putting on hoods and pulling out torches. It's weird, leaving a project... not exactly what I expected. It took like 17 hours for the first reply! People really do seem to be either away or too shell shocked.

So thanks everyone... and without further ado: http://www.easyuo.com/cheffe/EasyUO_Source.zip (full source)

May it bring you luck, though I hope everyone realizes what a two-edged sword that is.

Thanks for your efforts over these years. EasyUO brought me onto interest of developing stuff and iam not sure if i would be a software developer nowadays if easyuo not picked my interest.
I think if we look onto the past and overall, quiete a few people were unsure if you say this for real or if you maybe just want to grab our attention.
Regardless of what brought you to this decision, i have to thank you again for releasing the source. Me as Delphi developer and being interested in the technology, this let me see some things you were toying over the years.

PS :
Source looks good so far..

PPS :

Just did a quick looking :

a lot of conversation were required and a few edits on the components. Can´t say if it work but will install Delphi 7 on a VM once iam at home..
And NO i wont continue the work just wanted to show thats not that much mess Cheffe said :)

Last edited by Crome696 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:34 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Oh, this should be fun. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:39 am 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Thanks a lot mate for all you've done for the community.
I'm just a simple user, but I love what you've done here, and to me UO will always be paired with EUO. You achieved something, that's what's important. If you have to do other things, I totally understand. May the future be good for you then and thanks again !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:00 am 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Groups:
This is one of those things that you knew it had to happen eventually but you're at a complete loss for words when it does.

There's no doubt you've played a major part in UO surviving all these years. For that I truly do thank you for everything you've done.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:47 am 
Adept Scripter
Adept Scripter

Groups:
Haven't posted here in years, but had to say thank you for keeping the game alive at least a decade longer than it otherwise would have lasted.

Cheers, and best wishes.

-Xapj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:43 am 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
Easyuo gona have a new life. :))))

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:04 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Cheffe wrote:

You can certainly say "shell-shocked". It did take a bit to sort through the feelings and come up with a measured and reasonable response and try to keep it civil. :) Also, here in the States we were still doing the Thanksgiving holiday thing, so everyone was too fat and happy from their Thanksgiving meal to actually reach the keyboard. :)

Anyhow, I'm pleasantly surprised you release the code. That's going to be a blessing and a curse, but I do applaud you for letting the community take a crack at it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next