Total players online: 13

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Server Uptime
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Come people, we're over 60 days straight uptime. I expected by now, from all the enthusiasm when the server needed to be rebuilt, that we'd have a better average and online count by now. FOUR people online? It's really not worth keeping it up and paying that part of the hosting fee. Either we need more recurring donations to fully cover the monthly fee ($49) and online players or it probably should shutdown.

Send me a Paypal donation!

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
 Post subject: Re: Server Uptime
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:13 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

It's not the easiest getting new players on or even getting old ones back.

I would be happy to up my donation, but would like to coordinate with others that already do to formally agree on sustaining this $49/month cost.

Orn, Sos, Tech.... can we divide and conquer so we don't have to worry about this? This would help us stabilize and bring newer players and dev's to the table

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I already have a 5$ recurring and multiple like 20$ single time in the past...

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)
Quote "dreyfus": #true is always #true

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:41 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

I am willing to up my donation to $15/month.

Me and Orn can cover $20 out of $49.

Can anyone else pick up the remaining $29???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:47 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

I've been on the $4/month for a long time now, so you can add that to the mix. Sadly that when a server has some extended downtime, it's really hard to get the old players back or add new ones for quite some time. Takes patience and some demonstrated and consistent uptime. On Rebirth, once we had our extended down time, we never got our users back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Sooo... how much of this $49/month is currently covered? Can we get current stats?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:01 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

We have a small committed group now. 2-3 of us it seems.

The server being down for so long definitely killed some potential for us that only being on consistently will mend. Having months worth of uptime is as good as any advertising. People know of this server. Playing UO can be cyclical. Lets stay on long enough to show players this is a place they can call home without fear of downtime.

I am seeing other servers struggle to have consistent uptime. New AoS servers and even old time ones like Rebirth that Miffy described. It's not easy getting to this point... And UO is not gaining any popularity.

Therefore: 1. let's find out how much of this $49/month is currently covered. 2. Lets cover the rest. 3. I will personally pay a Developer [hopefully Dex] to update and add new content to the server. 4. have time to gradually campaign for new players on multiple fronts.

Thoughts? I can't do this without you guys.. and this server has too much going on with it to walk away from forever. Let's have a huddle everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

:3some:
i am in the early stages of building a small on-the-side-job in the field of archery.
Also, as Head of Sports for Switzerland Archery in the Universiade in close to 2 Weeks, i have a LOT to do atm...
But i see my strength not in developing or GMing the server as it. I am happy to provide my services here in the boards and drop money if needed and possible.
And with 100% work, 3h/day Training + all weekend, secretary in the regional admininstration of Archery, Trainer in my club, Coach to 2 Archers and conselor for another club, time is a rare commodity...

But if my side-business proofes doable and worthwhile, i am willing to make donations based on the income i have from that... I somehow (weird, i know) connected EasyUO and my sport, archery. Maybe because i started bot around the same time in life? Maybe...

I have seen too much and lifed thru too many good (Marriages, Babies, ...) and bad situations (Deaths, injuries, divorces, ...) with you all together to let it slip now at the signs of troubles.
If it is beyond repair, so be it. But i will not go down without a fight!

Count me in!
:wav:

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)
Quote "dreyfus": #true is always #true

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:31 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

i been hoping to spend some time on the shard to update / add some newer scripting techniques to a few scripts.

Thanks CEO for getting everything back up and running!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

player111 wrote:
i been hoping to spend some time on the shard to update / add some newer scripting techniques to a few scripts.

Thanks CEO for getting everything back up and running!

Lol hey there Tech! Actually, CEO is going to shut this all down unless we can come up with $49/month. Do you have anything to add to or say to that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Getting players has been a hard task.
Its also hard to expect a good Dev to volunteer hours to update stuff for only a few players.
I dont want to see lexia disappear but i see where CEO is coming from.

I can give 1 mill gold to any young player and craft things they might need, if you think that will help us get players to give Lexia a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:26 pm 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
Wow, glad I popped in here over lunch to browse what was going on. I’m pretty sporadic on how much I play due to rea life and family. I recently saw uo went to the endless journey and thought well it would be neat to pop on there and play with my I’d toys and my son is at the age where he can play. Was pretty disappointed. So I figured I’d pop back over here and see what was going on and man I was surprised to see the events that have unfolded.

First I want to thank CEO, Dex, and all the folks who have contributed to the Alexandria free shard over the years and the players whom I’ve met and played with over the last 3-4 years and letting me enjoy a game that I got to enjoy with my dad. The environment here made his my uo home even though I spent 10 years on the production servers, 1998 to 2008. I think most of us have uo deeply embedded in our hearts for a multitude of reasons but Lexia helped me get thru the hard times after my dad passed and kept me occupied. I’m very grateful. So ready thanks.

While I’m looking forward to having my son and hopefully some of his friends join up and paying here I’m committed to spreading the word but I have a few questions like what kinda timeframe are we looking at to try to repopulate the shard? What are some numbers minimum we’d like to see here somewhat regular to give us a chance of keeping the shard going? Is it a situation where we need donations at a minimum of around 50 to 60 bucks a month to keep it going? Is it a combination of population and donations?

I’m probably not going to do a recurring donation but I’m calculating some generous one time donations to help because it’s the east I can do if I have it to spare.

I’ve got a coupe of folks I’ve been meaning to visit with about joining up to have a group to venture with but after reading this I’ll make it happen sooner rather then later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

CEO has done a great job getting the hardware back up and stable. The best way to get population back up is for those interested to jump in and give it a go. If you have friends, then bring'em and play. Once the base starts again, that base brings more. Assuming we can avoid protracted downtimes again, bring your friends and have your friends bring friends.

I'm a horrible example of a shard member. I play solo, script constantly and generally remain silent. It's so hard bringing people back. We learned that the hard way on RebirthUO where I did Seer stuff.

When I came back to Lexia, I had fun starting from scratch. I love starting with 1000 gold and seeing where that takes me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:12 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
I guess what I was getting at is what kind of timeframe are we looking at to see if we can pump up numbers. Currently I’m highly restricted on the available amount of free time I have.

Usually fall and winter is the general time I have for “goofing off”. If I get time over the weekend I am going to try and get my boy an account up and going and kinda cut him loose with some pointers here and there. I have a few people I’ve been meaning to talk to as well about joining since there is a significant portion of the game that kinda requires a party that I’ve never done not to mention I’m quite rusty.

I may have a few other ways to help pump up player base that may well stay but again I’ll need free time to explore those options.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:52 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

I've seen things tick up from 4 to about 8 players in the past month. Uptime is the best way to get old players back.

But we need space on this site in order to attain the newcomers. http://uoportal.com/

Also, we need to speak with Dex or another Dev about updating our server and debugging.

TLDR: the idea is always open, but the coordinated effort needs to be agreed upon in a serious way.