Total players online: 14

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 pm 
Alexandria Staff
Alexandria Staff

Hi. Since this came up a month ago, and I made a tweak to disallow ghost "camping" of doom, here is a recent ?? I got:

Quote:
say i leave xxxxxxx loged out near the lamp and ever time i can think to do so, i log onto her and check?
i only ask because im the type of person to constantly be the last to cast at a tournament because im affraid i may cast too soon and be called a cheater. and i dont want to put myself at an unneccessary disadvantage.
also, are we allowed to log out and stay on south side doom or do we have to leave doom each time we decide to go to bed for the night? i want to make a xxxxxxxx and have them get as many rares off the guantlet as possible.

First off, I applaud this person for asking beforehand. This represents a "team" attitude and one I like. Not that I DISLIKE those who go with the "it's easier to ask forgiveness", but IMO this attitude above deserves some recognition-- good job.

Now, here are the "rules" for Doom:

DEFINITION: "CAMPING"-- permanently sitting watching a spot, either attended OR running an EUO script unattended, to observe some event happen, such as a rare spawning.

1. When we first spawned doom and the rares there, we said "no camping doom unattended. If we catch you doing that you will be moved or logged out". Why?? Because it is extremely easy to make a "doom rare grabber" and just run it, and leave char sitting there. We don't want this.

----COROLLARY: You CAN SIT THERE "CAMPING" Doom as long as you want, until Hell freezes over, if you are ATTENDED.

2. We noticed some folks recently that were "camping" Doom rares, unattended, but on ghost chars. They reasoned that since they couldn't grab a rare that way, it was OK. We reasoned otherwise, and thusly: The #1 advantage you have from "camping", on a sparsely populated shard, is NOT that you can run an instant grabber, it's that you KNOW THE THING SPAWNED! And thus can get alerted (or see it if attended) and log in a different character and go grab it. Ghost camping is NOT PERMITTED (unless attended, and even then, I wrote the code so you can't do it... the BEST WAY to have "rules"), because you get the advantage of knowing the info, but with NO RISK to yourself.

3. "Can I leave character at a spot, log in and check for item, then log out?". YES YOU CAN. This is not "camping". This is 100% attended checking for an item. You pay a cost in that you lose the full playability of that char, you have to take the time to do it, and the interval between checks is such that you will not gain any significant advantage (like a 3 minute alarm, log in, grab from ghost camping) vs. other players.

4. "Do we have to leave Doom each time we log out?" -- NO. Not unless we code it that way. There reaches a point when making up arbitrary "rules" in a fantasy game where you actually DO CONTROL THE WORLD is just... silly. When you log out in Doom, you take some risk, unless you spend the skill to get "camping" and that is a cost. If we decide we don't want you to be able to log out in Doom, then we will write the code so you CAN'T << this is always the best answer. If you are God, and you don't like your world, change it. If you give your creatures choices, and they make choices you don't like so you want to punish them... then admit you don't really want free-will and frigging change it. </RKtheology>

5. Obviously there is some judgement involved by staff... I suppose I could write a BOD checking type script that would constantly log my chars in and out looking for stuff. Oh well, at some frequency we might decide it approaches the limits of "unattended camping" and do something. That's why we get paid the big bux.

6. If you are doing some form of auto-checking, and feel that some staff considered your autochecking to be actionary because it approached full time, here is the proper course of action:
a. Take it as a datapoint to be learned from and modify your timing
b. If you feel inclined to whine, ask yourself, "Was I really there, or was it a UM script?".
c. If 6b == #true, proceed to 6e, otherwise, learn to type "WTF?" quicker when staff shows up
d. Did your life get ruined because of staff action? if yes, go to church now, EXIT.
e. If you reach this point, STFU.
f. If you reach this point, goto 6e until memory leaks cause crash

There you have it folks! :) Bit of humor there at end, but let's keep it all in perspective. I have better things to do than time your log-ins in Doom, and when I don't it means I'm in a really really bad mood, and nothing is gonna help you. WarLocke and CEO are in bad moods always, you're out of luck there too ;)

Thx for the good Questions, and the Community Attitude. Short answer for those that skipped to here: go for it.

Item Work: UltraEnhancer | UltraOrganizer
Pets: UltraPetFighter
Treasure Hunting: Map Identifier | Treasure Hunter | RKSpotAutoWalker

Information:
New Users: Basic Required Reading for New Users
Speeches: My Consolidated Useful Speeches
Script Library: My Script Library

Last edited by Roadkill on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:07 pm 
Alexandria Staff
Alexandria Staff

Added to FAQ

Item Work: UltraEnhancer | UltraOrganizer
Pets: UltraPetFighter
Treasure Hunting: Map Identifier | Treasure Hunter | RKSpotAutoWalker

Information:
New Users: Basic Required Reading for New Users
Speeches: My Consolidated Useful Speeches
Script Library: My Script Library

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Roadkill wrote:
----COROLLARY: You CAN SIT THERE "CAMPING" Doom as long as you want, until Hell freezes over, if you are ATTENDED.
Sorry.. Have to post this... :D

If hell freezes over, this whould look like this:
Image ;)

... and hidden... :)

*kedrick: aww, unhide it!
that's awsome!
:lol:

Orn: Okok... unhidden... :)

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)
Quote "dreyfus": #true is always #true

Last edited by Orngrimm on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:46 am 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

Quote:
WarLocke and CEO are in bad moods always, you're out of luck there too

so u are saying all the main admin/gm people for the shard are always in bad moods :shock:

hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:56 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

Actually I'm almost always in a decent mood...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

WarLocke wrote:
Actually I'm almost always in a decent mood...
Our moods are directly proportional to the amount of Script support we give. :shock:

RK's comment did have a snickering :wink: grin after it too.

Send me a Paypal donation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 pm 
I have no life!
I have no life!

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:39 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Roadkill wrote: