Total players online: 17

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Budman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:18 pm 
3 of my friends were banned today for running multiple clients, all had the latest version, and were all attended. Gm popped them into jail and said something about running an illegal 3rd party program to run multiple clients, and said take care and banned them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:03 pm 
Adept Scripter
Adept Scripter

Groups:
Were they making bod runs?

<---Goal is to macro mine, have my character talk and respond to anyone, bank sit buy/sell, Hunt on occasion... in 30 lines of script or less =)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:06 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
That's why I use VMware to run a second client (if I even need to).

Let's see a GM detect that...

Jimio

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Doesnt matter if you use VMware or UOXL...
As long as you let it run on the same PC your connection uses:
- The same IP for multiple Clients
- The same MAC-adress for multiple Clients
- The same Line-ID for multiple Clients

I think theyr detection uses these facts... Not sure but i belive...

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)
Quote "dreyfus": #true is always #true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:41 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
Orngrimm wrote:
Doesnt matter if you use VMware or UOXL...
As long as you let it run on the same PC your connection uses:
- The same IP for multiple Clients
- The same MAC-adress for multiple Clients
- The same Line-ID for multiple Clients

I think theyr detection uses these facts... Not sure but i belive...

Then you don't understand what VMware is or does... It is a separate machine as far as the world is concerned. It has it's own ip address, it's own mac address, it's own OS (which in this case is different than my desktop host OS), it's own copy of UO and all files. It's no different than me having a different computer completely. It just happens to run on my machine...

Sure, if you're an idiot you could set it up to use the host pc's IP address and/or mac, but I'm not an idiot.

Jimio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:09 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
@jimio mac adresses are unic. you CAN have some kind of "virtual" mac adress on your nic, but the mac adress which is used in the internet is, must an will ever be unic.

but i always thought GMs can't get this information.... but who knows, maybe EA changed something

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:24 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
pipo wrote:
@jimio mac adresses are unic. you CAN have some kind of "virtual" mac adress on your nic, but the mac adress which is used in the internet is, must an will ever be unic.

but i always thought GMs can't get this information.... but who knows, maybe EA changed something

Just for the record, I'm a 15 year network engineering veteran. I know what mac addresses are...

In VMware, the virtual machine has it's own virtual nic and that virtual nic has it's own mac address. You can configure the virtual machine to have the virtual nic either "assume and use" the host machine's nic (including it's mac address) and ip address or you can have it use it's own and get an (or have an assigned) ip address from the local (or internet) network.

In my situation, I have a physical nic in my machine with it being hooked to a router on the local lan and getting a local ip address. The virtual nics in all of my virtual machines also get their own unique ip addresses on the local lan as though they were their own machines and all of them have their own unique mac addresses. This layout is no different than if I had a room full of machines (which I happen to have also).

There is no way in the world that anyone would be able to determine if I am using VMware or totally separate machine to run a program. Even my virtual macs are "spoofed" to look like other manufacturers cards.

Make sense???

And once again, if you're an idiot, it is possible to configure your machine to use the same mac and ip of the host machine. But that's not even the default in VMware, so you'd have to be a very specific idiot to do it.

Jimio

Orchid
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:55 am 
And posting and calling people idiots is not very nice. Maybe you should tell them in a constructive manner how to use it or maybe direct them to a webpage that explains.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:14 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Orchid wrote:
And posting and calling people idiots is not very nice. Maybe you should tell them in a constructive manner how to use it or maybe direct them to a webpage that explains.

Jimo wasn't posting and calling someone an idiot. He was saying that it is possible to configure VMware to use the same IP and/or MAC address as the physical host hardare, but that you would have to be an idiot to do that.

jimo wrote:
And once again, if you're an idiot, it is possible to configure your machine to use the same mac and ip of the host machine. But that's not even the default in VMware, so you'd have to be a very specific idiot to do it.

So, you see...he's not saying "you are an idiot." He's saying "If you do this, that's just plain retarded and you diserve what you get."

-phule

Comment of the Month: CyberPope
----------------------------------------
phule you are a riot!
you rule
Hey you, I think you should come play on the EasyUO freeshard: Alexandria!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:22 am 
Alexandria Staff
Alexandria Staff

he didn't call anyone an idiot you know... that is a misread on your part orchid. He spoke hypothetically, IF you WERE an idiot you COULD do something that no one had claimed to do, nor had he accused anyone of doing it, nor did he infer that anyone was doing it. His point was that
1. he DID offer a good solution to the problem, using VMware.
2. The people who jumped in and said it wouldn't work did NOT in fact know how VMware worked, and he then proceeded to explain how it DID work.
3. He then even took the time to cover the single remaining objection, "it IS possible to set it up so that is STILL looks like the same IP", and he again gave good detail: a. it's not the default to install that way, so if you don't know what you're doing you'll be ok, and b. you have to THINK you know what you're doing but really NOT KNOW to actively change it (a good definition of idiot) and thus nerf yourself.

[begin speech mode, not directed at Orchid in particular nor intended to insult anyone]
Why is everyone so quick to complain and whine if they don't get treated with lollipops and candy and told what amazing geniuses they are, and how they SURELY would know more than Einstein if only they were treated fairly by society and someone had had the decency to spoon feed them, and it truly is understandable how everything they just said is totally wrong but that doesn't mean they don't know what they were talking about, it must be my fault for not phrasing the question correctly and in any case your answer surely fits some other question somewhere just not THIS question so thus it just proves how all-knowing you are?

Piss on THAT!! In my job, you know how it works? I ask ONE question. I watch the guy attempt it ONE time. If he doesn't do it as briefed, or answer correctly, I say this: "NO. THAT'S WRONG. THIS is the answer." If he starts explaining what he was thinking, and how he got confused, and WHY he was wrong?--- BAM! He's done. No one wants to know or cares about that, and in the end it's just whining and making excuses.

Ok, enough of a speech. I learned something from the post, as I'm sure Orngrimmand pipo did-- nothing wrong with that :)
enjoy

Item Work: UltraEnhancer | UltraOrganizer
Pets: UltraPetFighter
Treasure Hunting: Map Identifier | Treasure Hunter | RKSpotAutoWalker

Information:
New Users: Basic Required Reading for New Users
Speeches: My Consolidated Useful Speeches
Script Library: My Script Library

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:32 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Roadkill wrote:
Piss on THAT!! In my job, you know how it works? I ask ONE question. I watch the guy attempt it ONE time. If he doesn't do it as briefed, or answer correctly, I say this: "NO. THAT'S WRONG. THIS is the answer." If he starts explaining what he was thinking, and how he got confused, and WHY he was wrong?--- BAM! He's done. No one wants to know or cares

Wow... you sure are hard on the fan girls and deck boys who work for you on your yacht, sir. :(

Comment of the Month: CyberPope
phule you are a riot!
you rule
Hey you, I think you should come play on the EasyUO freeshard: Alexandria!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:43 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
If you run 2 instances of UO using multiple accounts on WinXP and "Fast User Switching", does it assign a new IP or MAC?

I ask because according to EA it's acceptable to do....
Quote:
* How do I run multiple instances of UO on the same machine?
OSI has stated that using Windows XP to run multiple clients is allowable, although doing so does not justify violating any portion of the Terms of Service such as illegal unattended macroing. You will need multiple UO accounts for this to work as only one character per account may be active on any one shard at a time.
Thats from the UO Tech FAQ on Stratics.

I can't imagine they would be banning for something that could be done using WinXP, there must be more to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:51 am 
Alexandria Staff
Alexandria Staff

good point. That was an interexting quote DosX. Although, I would not be surprised to find they were banning for exactly that, a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand does hey? Take both stratics AND UO.Com playguide for example-- both sources STILL say on their item properties pages that the resist amount added to a piece when it is exceptional is 6%! In fact it is 15%. That is in at least 2 places in the Playguide, though it's over 1.5 years old now!
Just an example of their documentation not reflecting what they do, and perhaps this multi client thing is the same? Maybe some smart guy briefed them "HERE is how we can detect EasyUO without doing anything illegal! Woot, let's do it and banxxor them alllll hey?"
:)

Item Work: UltraEnhancer | UltraOrganizer
Pets: UltraPetFighter
Treasure Hunting: Map Identifier | Treasure Hunter | RKSpotAutoWalker

Information:
New Users: Basic Required Reading for New Users
Speeches: My Consolidated Useful Speeches
Script Library: My Script Library

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:05 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
Orchid wrote:

Not bad, you're 4 posts and 68 words into the EUO boards and you jumped to the wrong conclusion.

This is the exact reason I stopped posting on the boards for the last year.

Thank you Phule and Roadkill for understanding what I said. It gives me hope that there are people out there that can read and understand my posts.

Jimio

PS. Orchid, I'm not attacking you. Just making a point that 90%+ of the people here jump to the wrong conclusions or don't understand what's going on.

Ginji
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:31 am 
So I guess the question is... Is this true? Should we not use UOXL to run multiple clients?

Of course none of us are using EUO right now due to the patch :P