Total players online: 18

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The UM policy for our shard is as follows:

• UMing for skill gain, 8x8ing, etc is allowed.
  • UMing for gold farming/resources is not allowed.
  • UMing while buying resources from faction vendors is not allowed
  • Sitting AFK in the Shrine of Virtues Warzone to farm points in a game is not allowed.
However, the consquences for UMing while farming are not exactly anything to get your panties all bunched up over. OSI bans and cancel account when you're caught, we're more liberal, but don't push it! What will we do? The GMs/Staff are allowed to have some counter-scripting fun.

Allowable Staff actions:
  • Script breakage causing your character to do unintended things, like getting stuck, walking in circles, etc.
  • Adding things to your pack to cause you to be overwieght (IE see a)
  • Moving you to the a neutral spot (IE the UM pen).
  • Putting you in jail requiring a Staff to visit you to obtain your release.
  • Animals participating in your UMing (packhorse, beetle, etc) may be moved and caused to be inaccessible.
  • Disconnect the client.
  • Repeated offenses/last resort: Account may be blocked from 24,48,72 hours depending on how many times you've been caught. (Notes are entered into your account's profile each time). If you continue doing this after a 72 hour block, permanent banning may result. Please don't let it go this far, we want everyone to have fun, but after so many times of watching someone UM for resources it's abusing the shard rules and spirit of play.
Please note, the above list is not in any particular order of action a GM may take. Most of the time I'm guessing it'll be the first few options in order to have some fun with the script you're obviously running.

What they can not do:
  • Delete items in pack.
  • Intentionally kill your character using a GM/Staff command. PackPets are exempt.
  • Spawn monsters not normal to an area or in excess in order to kill your character. This means if mongbats are known to frequent an area and you're killed by a mongbat, don't come whining to a GM. Afterall if you're going to UM, you should have some avoidance stay-alive routines in your script!
  • Use Staff obtained info to assist others to your location.

General Procedures:
  • AFK Check
  • After a pattern of failed AFK checks:
    • 100 stone rock put in pack that expires after 1 day
    • 200 stone (or more) rock put in pack that expires after 7 days
    • Character Jailed, must page and explain your actions to be released
    • 24 hour ban
    • 48 hour ban
    • 72 hour ban
    • Find a new shard, aka perma ban
This is more of a general procedure and not necessarily what will be followed by any particular Staff. You're more likely to see a rock and start the general check-list of AFKness if you're caught and then 4 hours later you're back at it again...

That's it. My original "AFK and You" post was meant to be more humorous then accusatory. Those UMing alot know who you are, we mess with you, you recover, you're right back to UMing. BFD. Both sides get over it, there is absolutely no reason to bitch and moan (on either side) with these rules. What it comes down to is we're providing a shard for your entertainment (at consider costs out of my pocket for hardware and ISP fees)so you should also be expected to follow some of our rules. If not, there are hundreds of other freeshards listed in UOGateway for your enjoyment. I doubt it even needs to come to that. We're all here to have fun and script to our hearts desire.

I beleive I'll leave this thread open to allow for some discussion, but be adviced, this policy WILL NOT change as it is for now. If we get into what I determine is just an unproductive argument, I'll lock the thread and remove all the posts.

Send me a Paypal donation!

Last edited by CEO on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:26 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

** This post edited due to a misunderstanding **

I have a tendancy to get carried away. I know I did in the UM policy thread, I will try to explain, more calmly, why I have an issue.

I can appreciate that the gm's decided to make the policy the way it is. I have no problem with that. My honest problem is, why did we vote? I mean ultimatley, there wasn't a point to it.

No, I am not trying to be hostile. I am not trying to start a fight. I am simply asking a question. I just don't see why we took the time to vote for an issue that was ultimatley decided by the gms anyhow.

It just doesn't look good guys. I know most all of you, and have for some time. I don't mind it, I really don't. But think about how it looks to people joining the shard. It appears to say "vote here, wow, didn't expect that, that sucks. Here's what we're gonna do anyway..."

I am still not trying to provoke anyone. I am trying to help. (<--- I keep repeating this so everyone will understand and nothing gets confused.)

I know you guys have a lot to think about with the shard. What to change, what to fix next, what to leave alone. You have all these different people asking for different things, at the same time. I know it's time consuming. But keep in mind, you are working with the general public. There's an old saying that it takes 1 million happy customers to make a business thrive and only one pissed off to kill it over night.

I want to see the shard grow as much as anyone else does. I have some nice stuff to sell Honestly, we're all going to have to come together and help out to make that happen.

Please guys, if there's something coming up that more than 60% of the gm's have a strong opinion on, please don't make it a public vote. It just lets down the players if the vote doesn't pass because "the gm's say so."

Know what I mean?

Thanks,
LeeCH

Last edited by LordLeeCH on Thu May 19, 2005 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:28 pm 
Alexandria Staff
Alexandria Staff

Well stated policy, should make it easier to "follow the rules", and if not, both give and receive slappage. :)

Item Work: UltraEnhancer | UltraOrganizer
Pets: UltraPetFighter
Treasure Hunting: Map Identifier | Treasure Hunter | RKSpotAutoWalker

Information:
New Users: Basic Required Reading for New Users
Speeches: My Consolidated Useful Speeches
Script Library: My Script Library

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:33 pm 
Grandmaster Scripter
Grandmaster Scripter

Groups:
I was actually surprised when Lexia first went live, that unatended macroing wasnt allowed... Sure i understand goldfarming, but training?

Whats the point of this shard anyway? I can macro attended on OSI as well...

Plus the handling of UMers was a joke, really. A complete waste of staff time, only good for a few laughs.

Sounds like a good desision to me...

:la:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

corr wrote:
Sounds like a good desision to me...
Thanks, we think it's fair. Allows people to skill train however they want, allows UM goldfarming with a very minor annoyance factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:19 am 

I am happy that the policy has been made crystal clear, I will do my best to support it.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:32 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

I can say I agree with it. I have been caught a few times by WL Uming. However I was actually on both my accounts doing it. I actually read him laughing at me when he trapped me. Wasn't a big deal. I moved the chests out of my way and went back to it. The pentaly isn't that big of a deal. I do not however mine while not on my other account. Because within mins they will come by and break your script so its point less to do so. I do however do it while I am on my other account. So I mine while I play with my other guy no big loss. If I get caught and they break my script I go back to start and start it again.

Peronally I don't konw what is more boring clicking all the time or sitting there watching it click. So I would rather just check in every few mins and make sure the GM's didn't break my script.

No big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:29 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

As far as goldfarming goes, there's always the classic read-a-book-while-watching-out-of-the-corner-of-your-eye ;)

Kinda tough to miss that lightning bolt. Just make sure your sound's on. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

heheh roadkill said Slappage :)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:36 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
RK has a way with words, I was using one of his scripts and the script told me that my chars magery "suckith".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:55 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

seems perfectly fair to me, i mean your not there so you suffer the consequences no matter who finds you.

Only side effect i see is that eventually the scripts will win more times they loose. Even being ported to a UM pit in Del can be counter'd with a script.

Personally I think disconnection is the best answer, saves shard resources and stops gold famring dead. If they persist in loging um then change their password and have them need to recover it via a web page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

vostran wrote:
Personally I think disconnection is the best answer, saves shard resources and stops gold famring dead. If they persist in loging um then change their password and have them need to recover it via a web page.
We probably wouldn't go as far as changing PWs, it's not really something we'd want to do. The UM policy really states that it's ok for a GM to mess with you if you're not there and goldfarming. Disconnecting is a valid action though and a good point, I'll add that to the list of allowable actions a GM may possibly do, but more likely the UM pen or something else just as devious (within the allowable rules).

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:12 pm 
Alexandria Staff
Alexandria Staff

Here's a rather brazen fellow I caught UM mining the two stone lumps sticking out of the ground in Del near the UM pen. His rail ran him over to the log near one, where he calmly sat down and mined the lump dry while I stood there LOL.

Attachments:
brazenUM.JPG
brazenUM.JPG [ 33.85 KiB | Viewed 33566 times ]

Item Work: UltraEnhancer | UltraOrganizer
Pets: UltraPetFighter
Treasure Hunting: Map Identifier | Treasure Hunter | RKSpotAutoWalker

Information:
New Users: Basic Required Reading for New Users
Speeches: My Consolidated Useful Speeches
Script Library: My Script Library
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next