It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:19 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Groups:
Scotch_Tape's Beginners Guide to Mage PvP

Purpose
To give those players who have decided to venture into mage PvP a nudge in the cheapest and most effective direction.

*Please note: This is not meant to be a discussion. If you have more to add please feel free, but if you disagree with anything do not post it here, rather, go ahead and make your own guide.

Introduction
When deciding what template to use for a new mage pvper it's important you use common sense. There are templates that work for you and templates that don't work for you. Many specialized templates have a lot of potential, but require special gear/personal skill/tactics you might not posses at the moment. Keeping that in mind as you read this guide you will understand why I've decided to go with the skills and gear I did.

Skills
Here are the "Basic" skills that I found were the cheapest and easiest to use. This is a basic Inscription Mage template. Inscription requires no scroll so that saves a bit of time and money. There are other skills you could plug in besides inscription that are great templates, but I find Inscription is very effective for someone just starting out on a mage pvper because Inscription is built in damage and doesn't require more hotkeys, timing, or mana. Wrestling is favored by me because of the fact that you don't have to find some crazy spell channeling weapon to use and also you can't be disarmed. The spell books you have to choose from are very powerful and not all are very difficult to get.

120 Magery
120 Meditation <--- Goes by 10's. Having 105 is like having 100.
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Wrestling
120 Resist
100 Inscription
20 Focus <--- Goes by 20's. 25 focus is like 20 focus. 39 Focus is still like having 20.

Scrolls
The Scrolls are going to be an exspense every template for PvP will have. Although It's important to get these scrolls, some are more important than others.

Most Important
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Wrestling

Important
120 Meditation

Least Important
120 Magery
120 Resisting Spells

Finding a 110 Resist scroll or 115 Magery scroll is a lot easier than the 120's. I still run around with 115 resisting spells just because of the fact that I haven't ran across a 120 and I really haven't noticed a lot of difference in 115 and 120. You'll eventually want all these scrolls for this template, but it's not like you're going to just decide to PvP one day and have all these 120's at your disposal. Try to find the most important scrolls as soon as possible.

Gear

Gear is the never ending side of the game. The way it stands the chances of getting the max intensities of the mods you need are pretty unlikely. Even with the artifacts and custom artifacts that can be aquired in game, most players come up a bit short in one mod or the other. Here is my PvPers current suit...

*** Tree Wizard
Defense Chance Increase: 36%
Hit Chance Increase: 38%
Mage Armor: 2
Lower Reagent Cost: 78%
Lower Mana Cost: 28%
Faster Casting: 2
Faster Cast Recovery: 7
Spell Damage Increase: 33%
Physical Resist: 75%
Fire Resist: 69%
Cold Resist: 77%
Poison Resist: 79%
Energy Resist: 63%
Intelligence Bonus: 16
Mana Regeneration: 12
Stamina Increase: 12
Insured: 12
Spell Channeling: 1
Reflect Physical Damage: 15%

Armor scanning scripts can be found Here. When starting out it's a good idea to see what others have. When I first started I would scan pretty much any opponent I went against, especially those who were kicking my face in.

The suit I put together is pretty solid. It's taken a pretty long time to find the pieces needed to get up to this. You want to get as close to cap as possible without going over. Going over is wasting precious mod space. As you can see my suit goes over in a couple different things. Spell Damage Increase, Faster Cast Recovery, and some of my Elemental Resists. All the shards Caps can be found here in the Alexandria Wiki. There are a lot of very useful items that can be found ingame fairly easy. Some of these are...

Tokuno Artifacts:
Rune Beetle Carapace Stats
Kasa of the Raj-In Stats
Tome of Lost knowledge Stats

Minor Artifacts:
Heart of the Lion Stats
Violet Courage Stats

7th Anniversary Items Stats
Ancient Samurai Helm
Royal Leggings of Embers

The Tokuno Artifacts are very easy to collect considering the intensity and usefulness of them. I've started every new mage I've made with atleast a couple of these. Also, the 7th Anniversary items are not extremely powerful, but there are a lot of these items around that are cheap to collect so if you are missing some resistances or need more DCI they can help. The rest of the suit is items you have to collect through Runic vendors or enhanced loot. I've actually found some items that are worthy of a pvp suit I managed to enhance from doom. It's not likely, but it's possible.

Shard custom mage related items
Mage Schematics
Book of Shadows
Darksoul Hauberk
Monks Enrichment

Conclusion
I've covered mainly skills and gear that I've used with my mages when I started. This is just scratching the surface.

I didn't post the Doom Artifacts. There are a couple worth noting, but I felt those are pretty obvious and didn't need to be discussed. This is meant as a "beginning guide" and those artifacts are usually harder to get.

I didn't go into spell usage or mana management because these are things that are better to just get in the game and figure out the hard way (dirt naps).

There are items like Potions, Orange and Purple petals, and Bola's I didn't mention. These items are also tools to be used, but require a little skill and upkeep to use to thier full potential.

Group PvP is another great aspect of the game not mentioned. The PvP environment is enormous and there are constantly changing variables that require different counter measures and sometimes just old fashioned luck.

I hope this guide helps someone kill someone. Good luck!

Don't do Drugs.

Other Useful Links
Order Vs Chaos
Set Items
RPV Examples
RPV Examples
RPV Examples

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 pm 
Elder Scripter
Elder Scripter

Groups:
Great Read! Thanks for the tips as I've never had a real mage in all my UO life :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:33 pm 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

scotch tape is the most awesome mage ever IRL!!!

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 am 
Grandmaster Scripter
Grandmaster Scripter

Groups:
nice job one of the most solid written and explained mage pvp tutorials.

semper fi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:07 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Timing timing timing. Timing is everything. Timing will keep you alive and get good combos inbetween the bleeds/ai's. Also, most important mage spell is curse. Both offensive and defensive. These dexxers with rediculous amounts of dex and stam really gets messed up when you double curse them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:32 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

Groups:
Great job, I would like to add in one thing that really brought my suit together... If you find yourself a few pieces away from a great suit but you cant find the elemental resist you need, load up on physical because magic reflection and reactive aromor can fix that. If you do use that method remember to check your resist before you go pvp to see if the spells need re cast at that time...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:28 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Cool! I always like mage info!

I hope you dont mind, I added a link to here!
I Called it "Mage guide" space is limited

Thanks !!!

| - PS Event -Hidden Scroll Quest- Pvp Tourny --|Special Moves Chart -Mage Info-Mage guide - |
| - Info : ------------------------------------------------ | FYI: ------------------------------------------------------ |
| - Ankh_Pendant - Spellweaving-Harry Shroud- |---Virtues -------Anti-Virtue_Dungeons------------- |
| --------------------------------------------------------- | ------------------------------------------------------------ |

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:02 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Groups:
don't mind at all. Hopefully it will motivate some new pvpers.