Total players online: 6

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How to avoid patching UO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:36 am 
Developer
Developer

If you are one of the people who had to wait a whole week for EUO to get patched then this post is for you.

Look into your UO folder, there are several EXE files there:
uo.exe (569kb)
client.exe (3,290kb)
uopatch.exe (72kb)

client.exe is the actual game client. This is what you want to start. uopatch.exe is the patcher. You don't want to start this unless you absolutely have to. uo.exe is simply a wrapper which first starts uopatch.exe and then runs client.exe afterwards.

The UO link on your desktop probably points to uo.exe. That means you run the patcher each and every time you launch the game. This is WRONG! It means you will patch your client at the earliest possible time when a new patch is released, most likely before an EUO update is available.

Please note that most UO patches are NOT forced, meaning you can continue to use the outdated client for a while. This is what you want! It means you can continue using EUO with the old client while the sad people who needlessly patched have to wait.

But wait, what if there really is a forced patch you need? Well, in that case the game will not let you log in, giving you a very subtle hint that you really need to run uopatch.exe. In that case, everyone needs to wait until a new EUO is available (it usually is by that point).

So the RIGHT way is to run the client.exe directly without the patcher. Right-click that UO link right now, choose properties and change the target from uo.exe to client.exe.

Amazing, right? It's been this way since around 1997 or so...

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:16 am 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Good shit Cheffe. I cant lie I have been one in the past that patched and couldn't use easyuo. yes I def never let that happen again. a lot of people don't realize that u only have to patch when it is a forced patch if not don't let uo run quit it and open up the ea folder and run ur client through there or u can even open easyuo and open the client in there. I have seen so many post in the past and instead of people taking a little bit of time to read the forums they just post a thread and say easyuo is down. if anyone needs help let me know I'm explain in depth of what u can do to make sure that this doesn't happen even if u do patch up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:06 pm 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
lmao classic!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:09 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Quick question about this. So I have my classic client icon linked to the client.exe, and everything is good. What I need to know, is there any way to change this with UOassist? Call me outdated, but I still like assist a lot for general game play. In the past, assist would patch, but I could still use the classic client icon to just load up the previous patch and had no problems (even if UOassist patched last time I played). Now it seems, If I use assist and get an accidental patch, the client icon is patching also. This started with the last patch. Did they change something or have a just had a glitch for some time? So, is there anyway I can change assist to not patch unless I want it to? Thanks for any information you may have on this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:09 pm 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
I Love Cheffe's post, but here is another idea.
Get a life.
Get a job.
Earn a few hundred k a year.
Purchase a home.
Find a beautiful woman, marry her.
Have two kids.
Patch any way you want.
If it doesn't work, count your money, clean your house, have sex withy our wife, take a bike ride withy our kids.
If none of that works....then I agree with Cheffe, your one of the "sad"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

glowstixboyoh wrote:
Quick question about this. So I have my classic client icon linked to the client.exe, and everything is good. What I need to know, is there any way to change this with UOassist? Call me outdated, but I still like assist a lot for general game play. In the past, assist would patch, but I could still use the classic client icon to just load up the previous patch and had no problems (even if UOassist patched last time I played). Now it seems, If I use assist and get an accidental patch, the client icon is patching also. This started with the last patch. Did they change something or have a just had a glitch for some time? So, is there anyway I can change assist to not patch unless I want it to? Thanks for any information you may have on this.

If you use UOAssist you'll need to back up your client.exe as UOAssist autoruns UO.exe

“Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?”
I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:08 pm 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

daantz wrote:
, have sex withy our wife,

How many people are we sharing with?

beetle.'
ximan 'Command/method to launch a child script thread and initiate atomic communication with it.'
Cannibal (regarding Axia)'you come off as a tool'
Scotch Tape 'mabey if you just send us a picture of your chest, with your shirt off...'

http://www.darksoul7.com/
http://godisimaginary.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:34 am 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

-Being new and king stupid on this... I am A UOA user... Is there a thread on how to do this "Back up your client.exe" stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:02 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Friends of Mine have Had Difficulty in Starting new Accounts any advise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am 
Novice Scripter
Novice Scripter

Groups:
Nice main post it should help out some users.

I had a thought while reading the main post. Why not encourage the community to save the current UO "client.exe" files in a zip format and put them in a shared folder on a torrent network? Of course relevant information would be included in the title like version, date to make them searchable.

Then put a message on the main page to search torrent if you need the current "client.exe".

I would do it, but I don't play UO enough to be any help.

Just a thought.

a mage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:48 am 
Apprentice Scripter
Apprentice Scripter

Groups:
I just started playing again, client patched up because it had to in order to play. But scripts say no supported Client is found. How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:45 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

i can't seem to find the uo.exe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:11 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Groups:
Duh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:42 pm 
Script Kiddie
Script Kiddie

Or what i usually do is after a patch, i go to the "client" file and right click it then select "Restore Previous Versions". I select the version that was previous to the patch then drag it into the client folder and name it "client2". I manually launch each client after starting easyuo. Never had a problem with it! Thank you for the update, and rather funny replies from a couple of people! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 pm 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

I have the same problem as a user posted above, I just re-subbed tonight after a year out of game and the current game patch seems to be 7.0.45.82 but easyuo is not up to that yet. The last client data I have saved is from 7.0.39.0 which of course doesn't work anymore. I will wait until things are updated, unless I missed a fix, but just wanted to let you know that re-subs may not be able to use this yet.

Cheers!