Total players online: 5

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: EasyUO helps Cancer-care
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

This thread is for all the People from the EUO-Boards, who helps fight cancer with the "United Devices Cancer Research Project".
It is a project (like the well known SETI@Home) that uses normal, private owned, Internet-connected computers to make a giant grid of small workstations which all works together for one big work.

Edit 24.Nov 2007:
Grid.org is closing its doors because the work is done! Yay! :D

We opened a new team at www.worldcommunitygrid.org.
Please check out the team and help to crunch those Workunits:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... 0R5F1HRQQ1

Starting with the post by WarLocke here i provided (on page 23) a nice manual to create Standalone and Portable-Installations of the BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing)-Client with which you can calculate on whatever project you want... SETI@Home, Cancer-research, Proteone-folding, Dengue-Research, ...

Quote:
Grid.org Team Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:03 pm Post subject: All Good Things Come To An End… hat Folgendes geschrieben:
With seven years and five projects under its belt, Grid.org has successfully completed its mission: To evangelize the benefits (and demonstrate the viability and security) of large-scale Internet-based grid computing. Therefore, it is with great pride for all the accomplishments of this pioneering resource, and above all with the utmost gratitude to each of our members around the globe, that we announce Grid.org will be retiring on Friday, April 27, 2007.

We’ll be making a public announcement on the site later this week, but we felt it was important to give you, our loyal member base, an early heads-up out of respect for the years of support you’ve given to Grid.org. This way you’ll have time to gather final statistics, exchange contact info, and prepare for the official shutdown.

What exactly is happening:
At 12:00 noon Central Time on Friday, April 27, Grid.org will retire: Jobs will stop running, forums will be closed, and the website will be updated to reflect the retired status of this resource. We will leave the actual servers up for 1 week, so agent messages about this action can continue to be sent to members around the globe who might not check forums regularly. We will also leave the Stats up for one week so you have plenty of time to gather this data. After that, only the Home and Projects pages will remain, along with the instructions for uninstalling the agent ( http://www.grid.org/help/faq_uninstalling_agent.htm ).

Why?
Grid.org has completed its established mission to prove the benefits and viability of Internet-based grid computing. Grid.org was the largest and most ambitious public interest grid venture ever attempted when it was conceived – and thanks to Grid.org (and more specifically to all of you), today such a grid is no longer a novelty. Many public grids are now available, sponsored by large organizations better positioned to provide support to millions of member volunteers and the scientists who leverage their processing power. So, with the underlying technologies now well established globally in both public and private research programs, Grid.org’s goal of establishing the underlying technology has been achieved.

But what about…
We realize that over the past few months, Grid.org has made several announcements about upgrades coming in anticipation of a couple of new projects that we were working on. While we were fairly optimistic about these projects being launched, they ultimately fell through for a number of reasons. We realize that many of you had looked forward to participating in a beta program ahead of launching these projects, and we’re sorry you won’t have that opportunity.

Moving on: Where to go from here?
It’s clear from your years of loyalty to Grid.org that Internet-based research projects of this kind are important to you… and so we’re sure many of you will take your valuable resources to other projects of this kind that are ready and willing to accept you as new members.

Below are just a few of the projects we encourage you to investigate:
> World Community Grid ( http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ ), operated by IBM
> Distributed.net ( http://www.distributed.net/ ), operated by distributed.net
> Compute Against Cancer ( http://www.computeagainstcancer.org/ ), operated by National Cancer Institute
> Folding@Home ( http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/ ), operated by Stanford University
> fightAIDS@Home ( http://fightaidsathome.scripps.edu/ ), operated by Olson Lab at Scripps Research Institute
> LHC@home ( http://athome.web.cern.ch/athome/ ), operated by CERN
> Distributed Folding ( http://www.distributedfolding.org/ ), operated by a group of partners including Hogue Bioinformatics Research Lab, Mount Sinai Hospital, and University of Toronto
> SETI@home ( http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ), operated by University of California at Berkeley

Also, here are a few great sites to visit to learn more about these and other projects:

> http://enterthegrid.com/
> http://gridcafe.web.cern.ch/gridcafe/gr ... /fora.html
> http://www.ogf.org/
> http://www.grid.org.il/

Uninstalling the agent
The agent will no longer be processing work after Friday at noon, so you will want to uninstall it from your home device. Here’s how: http://www.grid.org/help/faq_uninstalling_agent.htm . Some more explicit instructions, including Troubleshooting, will be posted online Friday when Grid.org actually retires.

Last but not least
As we’ve tried to emphasize not only in this announcement but throughout our years of operations, we are fully aware of the debt of gratitude we owe to all of you, our loyal members.

The excellent work Grid.org has done, both in contributing massive research power to critical health research and in establishing this kind of research as viable, would not have been possible without your faith, efforts, and donations of compute power and goodwill. There is no superlative high enough to describe the value we place on your ongoing support for Grid.org, and so we simply say Thank you, and we hope you feel as proud as we do of the work you’ve done.

Sincerely,
The Grid.org Team

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)
Quote "dreyfus": #true is always #true

Last edited by Orngrimm on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:29 am 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

All you need to do in order to join Team EUO is download and install the UD Agent software and then go to the Team EUO page to join the team.

TBM Scripts: sub Click Runebook Location | sub moveItem

Last edited by Tecmo on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: EUO team banners!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I've copied all the banners to www.easyuo.com:

Feel free to link to them in your signatures.

You\\\'re not the contents of your wallet.
You\\\'re not your freakin\\\' UO character.
Lexia banner by Janus
ScriptFellow\\\'s Script Library
Travel cheap in Europe.
[sfoneliner]
EUO Member since: May 30, 2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:41 am 
Grandmaster Scripter
Grandmaster Scripter

I supported this system some time ago, but my cpu usage exploded when using it and my cpu got too hot, I lost my mainboard with through the usage of this

(I don't want to keep others from using it, it's a really good thing, but my cooler was too bad, and I don't want my comp to run when i am not at home and when i am i don't want something else to run in the backround using all my resources)

Have fun with UD =)

unveu :)

EUO Member since: November 1, 2001

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:29 am 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

That is why you use your network from work... :-)

I intend on setting it up for my computer @ home as well since it is faster than any here at work. I have family members that have passed away due to cancer so I have no problem donating my computers resources to help in the research. Does make much more sense than searching for the little green men... (thanks WarLocke) :-)

TBM Scripts: sub Click Runebook Location | sub moveItem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:42 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

Been running this on 4 different comps for over a year with no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

deepgreen wrote:
I supported this system some time ago, but my cpu usage exploded when using it and my cpu got too hot, I lost my mainboard with through the usage of this

(I don't want to keep others from using it, it's a really good thing, but my cooler was too bad, and I don't want my comp to run when i am not at home and when i am i don't want something else to run in the backround using all my resources)

I look at this statement as simular too "I got banned from UO by using EasyUO". When I hear that, it's usually more "I got caught unattended macroing". Your computer had other underlying problems if running a program overheated it.

Also, you can put UD into screen-saver mode so it only runs as a screen saver and not take any resources while you're doing something.

Send me a Paypal donation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:09 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

hehe, I run 7 Fans in my computer not including the power Fan. my cpu is always cool to the touch.

DrkShdw
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:23 am 
I used to be a big participant with distributed computing projects. Namely distributed.net. I no longer support distributed.net as it has become more a clique than anything. However, I have participated in UD for a while. And will join the EasyUO team.

I'll install it in screensaver mode on a few of my machines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:49 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

Someone sticky this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I run it now sinde more than a week but i dont know what he is doing...
I found nothing on the net about what the client DOES...
I mean... He searches for "Ligands" (What is this?)...

Cancer is a bunch of mutated and growing cells...
How can this lignad helps to stop it?

I am electronician and no doc. So help me out with some informations... ;)

Quote "mmorning": Where would theses boards be if Orn didn't miss all the sarcasm. Man its great having him here :)
Quote "author-unknown": Good idea. I gotta start doing that too. You're a trendsetter Orn. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:06 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

It's basically taking various chemicals and trying to attach them to the cancer proteins, I believe. You could think of it as trying to brute force crack a cancer cell, only you don't have any positives, only "hits" where a particular guess seems like a good candidate for further testing.

OR my understanding may be totally wrong. :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:04 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
and trying to attach them to the cancer proteins

Hm... And thats exactly the part i dont understand...

If i remember right almost every cell-type in out body can mutate and turn into a cancer-like-growing-state.
Different cells -> Differend proteins, right? (Hey! I am electronician! ;))

So... how can they say, this and this chemical interacts (Interacts = ligand?) with "cancer proteins"? Maybe for a cancer which is growing from a specific-Cell-type.
Other celltype = Other ligands?

AND:

If I also remeber right: The (now corrupted) DNA is located in the Cell-core.
I think I remember, proteins arent part if the core, or are they?
I mean... it seems to me it is like a car with wrecked engine. If you try to fix the chassis and dont look at the engine, the car wont work ever!
(Hope, you understand my crappy english...)

BTW:
Our 2 top-crunchers are:
CEO with 3.73333 results / day
ScriptFellow with 3.21429 results / day

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I tryed to translate "ligand" in leo...
He sayd me the following:
der Ligand - Atom, Molekül oder Ion, das an das Zentralatom oder -ion bei Koordinationsverbindungen angelagert ist

My translation:
The ligand - atom, molecule or ion, which is attached to the central-atom or -ion at coordination-interconnections.

Here you can see, how MANY ligands are possible:
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/html/refmac5/dict ... gands.html
http://cbm.bio.uniroma2.it/surface/lista_ligands.htm

If I understand right:
O-X

legend:
O = Cancer-cell-protein
- = ligand
X = chemical

What we do:
To attach a chemical to a protein it seems like a ligand is needed.
With every result we process, we check one of these:
- maybe always other proteins (the "O") of different cancers.
- maybe always a new set of ligands (Maybe ligands who are known to be used for a chemical, which can destroy a cell?).

If we find out a fit betwheen a ligand and the protein, it is maybe possible to make the chain:

[Protein]<-ligand->[chemical/medicine]

Thats the weird thoughts of an electronic-ingenieur which trys to understand cell-chemistry... ;)

What you think about it?
is a biologician or chemician around here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:07 am 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

EUO Team just broke into the top 10k
keep up the great work :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next