Alexandria Uptime: 100.75 Days
Total players online: 5

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:27 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

Per a request from Roadkill a few weeks ago, I have put this together to help people continue to run their existing EasyUO after OSI patches the client to a new version. This method is probably easiest with UOAssist, but is also functional without.

I'll post the WITH UOAssist version first:

1) After each and every patch, go into the C:\PROGRAM FILES\ULTIMA ONLINE directory and copy the file CLIENT.EXE to a new filename -- such as CLIENT403A.EXE, CLIENT403B.EXE, CLIENT403C.EXE, etc.. It's best to use a naming convention that is easy to remember, such as naming the file in some manner that is similar to that version of the client, to avoid confusion. For instance, in my UO directory, I have the following clients:

client.exe (which is *currently* the 403E version)
client403e.exe (which is the current version, just copied to a new name)
client403d.exe (which is the version of the client that works with EUO build 94]
client403c.exe (which is the version of the client that works with EUO build 88]
client403b.exe (which is pretty much garbage at this point)
... etc.

2) Load UOAssist as normal. Click on the SETTINGS button. Look for the radio button under the "Program to Launch" section which reads, "User Defined". Click it. In the box next to it, manually type in the path to the version of the client that you wish to use. I.E.,
C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\client403d.exe

3) Click "OK", then click "Continue" at the bottom of the UOAssist window.

4) Version 4.03D (or whichever version you stated) will be the one that UOAssist loads. At this point you can use the EUO version that was compatible with that version of UO.. EUO Build 94, for example.

That's it. You're done. When a new version of EUO is released and installed, you can update the path to the "current" version of the client -- client403e.exe in this example.

Now for the folks that DON'T have UOAssist.

1) Follow step 1, as above. Copy each version of the patched client to a new filename.

2) Go into the C:\Program Files\Ultima Online directory through My Computer, Explorer, Command Prompt, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

3) Run the version of the client that you need directly; I.E., run CLIENT403D.EXE, for example. The patch window WILL NOT APPEAR when running UO in this manner, you will simply run that version of the client.

4) Run the version of EUO compatible with that version of the client (build 94, in this example)

That's it, you're done. When a new build of EUO is released & installed, you can go back to launching UO the regular way -- Through the Start Menu, the icon on the desktop, whatever.

---------------

Followup: The reason you want to copy the CLIENT.EXE to the new filenames is to keep the "original" client.exe file pristine. This way, the client.exe file will ALWAYS be the latest version, and should therefore always patch correctly. There is no need to worry about moving files around when a patch rolls out, having a patch fail because you copied an "old" client.exe over the current one, etc. The client.exe is always current this way.. When you see a new patch roll out, just check the version number, then copy the "new" client.exe to a new filename -- Client403e.exe, for example.

Caveat: If OSI changes the encryption in the client, all bets are off. The old versions of the client will no longer work at all, because they will be unable to correctly communicate with the server. At that point we'll have no choice but to wait for Cheffe (*Waves*) to create a new build of EUO that is compatable with the latest version of the UO client. :)

Even though my client was patched to 403e this evening, using the above method I am still able to run the old 403d client and build 94 of EUO with no problems.

If you have any questions about any of this, I'll try to answer them as best I can. :)

Last edited by Tazzman on Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
Fozzbozz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:43 pm 
Fabulous info! Now I just wish I'd done that before the patch. :(

(edited) As it turns out I do have a copy! I'd nearly forgotten that my nightly backups include the drive with UO on it. Woohoo! Back to smithing!

swgeorge
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:37 am 
wierd thing just occured to me. I'm running XP and after UO patched to 4.0.3e I figured I'd try a system restore to a couple days before. Well, low and behold, when I went to run UO it started just as normal saying patching process done. So when I click "OK" and the sign in screen came up it says version 4.0.3d. Can something this simple be the answer to our needs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:05 am 
Elder Scripter
Elder Scripter

try running euo and get back to us

very possible, i think i might have suggested this on the old boards, but that was a long time ago.

swgeorge
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:44 am 
euo works like a charm. I wonder why it won't try to patch now?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:04 am 
Adept Scripter
Adept Scripter

there is also a verinfo file that looks like it was modified at the same time as the patch. Maybe that is what it looks at to see if a patch is needed. Mine says this:

Win32_UO_Shared 0
Win32_AOS2D 27

After the patch, can someone verify what their's says before they patch (I installed AOS 2d version as you can see above)

-J4bber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:06 am 
Adept Scripter
Adept Scripter

Groups:
403D is:

Win32_UO_Shared 0
Win32_AOS2D 26

403C is:

Win32_UO_Shared 0
Win32_AOS2D 24

<---Goal is to macro mine, have my character talk and respond to anyone, bank sit buy/sell, Hunt on occasion... in 30 lines of script or less =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:51 am 
Adept Scripter
Adept Scripter

Just for grins I changed mine to 26 and it patched again. So it is looking at the verinfo file in the UO directory to see if it needs patching (and not the client.exe itself.

Oh and the reason EUO still worked on the old client with the "new" verinfo is that EA didn't change enough in the stream to make a difference between the d2 and the e versions of the client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:09 am 
Adept Scripter
Adept Scripter

MODS: Can we make this sticky?

Saint Lucifer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:54 pm 
ummm, i'm sorry if i'm an idot, but i have UOA and i followed the steps above and i can opean easyuo fine, but after patch session it says:
Unable to launch Client.exe (UO). Make sure that it is instaleld correctly and can run prperly.

and if i try not via uoa easyuo dosent work once i get to log in screen

i followed the steps (understanding them, or at least thinking i did, perfectly) to teh best of my ability. if you could offer some guidence maybe, it would be verry appriciated. thnx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:47 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
Saint Lucifer wrote:
ummm, i'm sorry if i'm an idot, but i have UOA and i followed the steps above and i can opean easyuo fine, but after patch session it says:
Unable to launch Client.exe (UO). Make sure that it is instaleld correctly and can run prperly.

and if i try not via uoa easyuo dosent work once i get to log in screen

i followed the steps (understanding them, or at least thinking i did, perfectly) to teh best of my ability. if you could offer some guidence maybe, it would be verry appriciated. thnx

I got the same, dunno why. I just renamed the client.exe to client_old.exe and then renamed my client403d.exe to client.exe and was OK then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:28 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely start doing this now... I tried to back up before but seemed to mess things up and I would have to reinstall when I wanted it to patch again. A hassel if anything.
I just did it my way cause it worked...in no was convenient. You came up with a convenient way and I thank you.

Jovial
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:57 am 
I guess there are many ways to do this; I do a slight variation: I pack the client after a patch with RAR and put this packed file (with the version nbr as a name) in the same directory as the client. When I list the directory I see: client.exe, client403e.rar, client403d.rar a.s.o.
When there is not yet a new version of EasyUO I just unpack the previous clientversion, and it replaces the newest client with the previous one. Once the new version of EasyUO is there, I unpack the latest version of my packed client.

monnauo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:31 am 
great man
good luck for the work

demonicwolf666
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:27 am 
great idea i wish i had seen this befor i uninstalled and reinstall uo on my desk to and stop the patch just befor the new one